Sunday, June 14, 2009

A memorable goodbye

I stashed the sleek tiny phone in my kurta pocket and sat in the cab…a melancholic me (after all, was going to the airport to see off an old fren…umm…now…fiancé). He followed me. It was a good thirty minute drive from Aravali to the domestic airport. He took my hand and was rubbing it as he was holding it. We spoke a bit with pauses…ellipsis…a faint try to act funny trying to make the best of a not so happy situation (pardon me for the sappiness…we humans tend to get ‘sappy’ at ‘goodbye’ times).

The situation continued even at the airport…a sad me looking here and there…just to avoid eye contact with him. In order to continue the process of avoiding…I wanted to concentrate at my cell phone. I searched the pocket of my kurta…then purse, hand bag…he called up the cab guy…no… it was not even there. It was time for him to check in. It was a full blown horror when I finally realized it was indeed gone…and the kohl ran down my lower lash line as I got teary eyed (more…thinking about blocking the sim card, FIR to retain the same no., gathering back the contacts, and at the loss of miscellaneous info. stored there).

As I was coming back from the airport, I kept thinking...saying goodbye had maximally been an emotional affair…only the intensity of the emotions vary with the change of individuals.
‘In many respects, its simply time to move on’…I kept repeating these words…ya...to move on to a new phone (can there be better consoling...rather.. comforting words?).

2 comments:

bluelark said...

"the kohl ran down my lower lash line as I got teary eyed (more…thinking about blocking the sim card, FIR to retain the same no., gathering back the contacts, and at the loss of miscellaneous info. stored there)" ok...ok... you dont have to explain ;)But again on second thoughts...was it really so...boo-hoo

random sampling.... said...

@bluelark-........;-);-)