Monday, March 8, 2010

Sky and its halves

Someone once said that she often felt an intense desire to return to the womb. Do you feel so? I often do…but if you ask me why then I will have to say there’s no rhetorically graphic answer to that…but when I see bound by their tradition a section of women still eat last and least throughout their lives, even when they are carrying and lactating. Perpetuating the cycle of malnourished moms’ dying in childbirth or giving birth to malnourished babies…I do feel the desire…

Be it your newspaper or your cell phone-open display of reassuring messages that women’s day is all about freebies and gift coupons…clothing ranges, movie tickets, spa packages, restaurant deals. Oblivious of the existence of this very day when I see Meena, Korobi, Lashmi in purulia, nalbari, Agya (just to name a few) are working hard like any other day only to listen to their husbands words that "women, like children, eat and do nothing." I do feel the desire…

There’s nothing new to talk of daily rapes, assaults and dowry-related murders. Female infanticide and sex-selective abortions nip the little aspiration left right in the bud. Amidst these when I see women in rural India (even a section of urban) lack power to decide whom to marry. And women inheritance rights…legal loopholes deny that too… I do feel an intense desire to return to the womb…and sit peacefully under my rainbow coloured umbrella…


2 comments:

bluelark said...

"... and sit peacefully under my rainbow coloured umbrella... "
loved that.

random sampling.... said...

:) u know how lazy I am so could not think of anything better...