Monday, July 13, 2009

Of Henry, Amal and me


Refreshingly delightful, poignant and simple…every time I read O’ Henry, I feel so. Few days back, Amal offered me this forgotten experience (of late, not reading much). Simple story and great actors make a good film and Richie Mehta's low-budget film Amal stands as a witness to that.


A rich hotelier, disillusioned by ways of the world finds a humble, honest autorickshaw driver. O’ Henry’s stories are full of irony. Amal’s chance, his life-altering encounter... the disillusioned old man as his passenger…his chasing a little girl who stole a purse from a regular passenger…the accident… Amal’s need for the money to help the hospitalized girl…the sudden favour of luck…wealth at his doorstep. Irony at every turn..


Henry’s endings are generally ‘tender’ with a ‘twist’…(the smile that says where you’re from). Amal was no different…at the end, I kept smiling for sometime with Amal.

No comments: